Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Best Gift You Can Give Yourself

So I believe everything happens for a reason. I kinda wish there was a cooler was of saying that because that is very overused, but anyhow, I do. That idea in itself is one of the primary reasons why I decided to go ahead and start a blog.  One of my absolutely favorite things in life is thinking back on a moment of my past and then thinking about everything that has happened from that point up to the present moment. Each year, day, and moment all seem to lead into the next in a way that can be described as nothing more then everything happens for a reason.  Right now all of those moments are just in my head, but once on paper (or in the cloud) I have solid evidence of the events and experiences that did occur and I get the satisfaction of going back and reading them.

I always think to myself, wow if I could tell my 15 year old self all the things that will happen to you until you are 22, the majority of the time I don't think the 15 year old version of myself would believe me.   I would tell 15 year old me that the cute boy in your high school Freshman psychology class who is totally "too cool" for you will end up being your high school fling. I would tell my young self that you go from a shy freshman girl to senior class president. I would tell myself that crying on the diag bench freshman year is no indicator of how wonderful the next three year of college are.  I would tell 15 year old self that you attempt two startup companies, the first unsuccessful, the second is still being determined. I would tell myself that heart breaks suck, and time is the only medicine, but better things come along afterwards- I promise they really do.  I would tell myself that you are a smart, funny, unique, determined, and one of a kind person who will make unbelievable friends, will overcome challenging situations, and will become more confident and daring then you think you are now.

I will tell my 15 year old self that when you get to 22 and look back on high school and college, you will be bewildered at how each moment lead into another opportunity, each tear drop lead into a learning experience, and how each day lead into another year of growth.  Each moment happened for a reason, and every moment here after will do the same. Life is funny, it is unfair, it is beautiful and it is unexpected, but you will look back and never regret any single moment of it and that is truly the best gift you can ever give yourself.  And now, 22 year old Pauline, re-read that last sentence again and remember that, never regret a single moment because there is always a reason why it happened.

Time to start documenting moments so I can have the joys of reading back on life and getting a good chuckle out of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment